Once you have the “money quotes” from your editorial review, which describe your book in succinct, positive terms, you want to make sure you add them to your marketing materials. One of the most important places to put these quotes is in your Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and other online author account pages.
Here’s how you do that, starting with Amazon.
- Log into your account and click on the “Books” tab at the top.
- Select the title of the book that was reviewed (if you need more editorial reviews for other books, click here).
- Click the “add” button next to the Reviews’ section of the page.
- Enter the portion of the Editorial Review that you’re quoting, making sure to use quotation marks and to properly attribute the reviewers or website that provided the review. Here’s an example for formatting purposes: “A gem of a story” – The Book Review Directory.
- Click “Preview.” If everything appears correctly, select “Save Changes.”
It can take some time for the review to appear, but often it’s visible within minutes of saving.
You can also use your Editorial Review quotes in the book’s description (usually at the beginning) or in your Author Bio. After all, when a professional has read your book and liked it, you’ll want others to know, and having it appear in multiple places can help readers discover the quote and, through it, your book.
The steps to add it to your Amazon Author biography are similar to those used to create the review, only you’d go in under your Author Page instead of the “Book” tab, and then select “Edit Biography.”
With Nook, there’s a you’ll have a slightly different method of adding the review.
- Log into your account.
- Select the “Projects” tab and go down to “Editorial Reviews” along the left hand side.
- Fill in the name (Production Team), review source (The Book Review Directory), and the portion of the review that you’re quoting, this time, without the quotation marks.
- Then hit “Save.”
You can also add your Editorial Reviews to your Barnes & Noble account by emailing them.
- Send the ISBN of the book and an excerpt of the review you want entered to email@example.com.
- Include the source (i.e., Book Review Directory) and the author of the review (if applicable) in the email for citation purposes.
According to their instructions, all submissions are subject to verification and one cannot submit a review from the reviews licensed through Barnes & Noble.
You can also add your Editorial Review quotes to your Goodreads account, to your own website, your author’s page on Facebook, and to promotional graphics for your Twitter account. Just keep in mind that you might not want the quote to turn into spam, appearing “in your readers faces” all over the internet. If possible, you’ll want to work with an Editorial Review service that provides you with multiple quotes so you can mix things up.
Ready to receive your own Editorial Review? Read more about Editorial Reviews here.